Since 2022 I am Assistant Professor of Computer Engineering at the Dept. of Management, Information and Production Engineering - Università di Bergamo, Italy. Morevoer, I am adjunct professor at Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Italy. I occasionally collaborate as scientific consultant for machine learning projects with Interlogica, a software company based in Venezia, Italy.
I teach several courses in the field of computer programming and data analytics in Brescia and Milan, such as Algorithms and data structures and Laboratory of cloud computing, big data and security, Advanced programming and deep learning for AI. More details in the teaching page.
As researcher, my main interests are in the fields of:
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- Cloud computing
- Fake news and hate speech online
- Real-Time Physical Systems
- Smart and Efficient Energy Management in Cyber-Physical Systems
- Autonomous Mobile Robotics
In my academic career as student, I received the Bachelor degree (Laurea) in Computer Engineering from the University of Pavia, Italy, in 2006. The dissertation title was “Sviluppo e implementazione di un sistema di monitoraggio e di controllo per un impianto di trattamento reflui” (in English: "development and implementation of a control and monitoring system for a waste-water treatment plant") and the supervisor was prof. Lalo Magni.
Then, I received the Master degree (Laurea Specialistica) in Computer Engineering again from the University of Pavia in 2009. The dissertation title was “Controllo robusto real-time di un plotone di robot mobili” (in English: "robust real-time control of a mobile robots platoon"). Supervisors were Prof. Antonella Ferrara and Doc. Tullio Facchinetti.
I completed my student career receiving the Ph.D. title in Computer Engineering from the University of Pavia, Italy, in 2013.
The title of my dissertation is "Real-Time Physical Systems and Electric Load Scheduling".
Doc. Tullio Facchinetti has been my supervisor.
Since Tullio’s former supervisor is prof. Giorgio Buttazzo, I’m glad to be his grandchild in the line of research.
From March to December 2011 I was a visiting student researcher at the Model Based Predictive and Distributed Control Lab, UC-Berkeley, California, USA. My onsite supervisor was prof. Francesco Borrelli.
From 2012 to 2014 I held a Post-Doc position at the Robotics Lab, Dept. of Industrial, Computer and Biomedical Engineering at University of Pavia.
From 2014 to 2021 I've been Assistant Professor of Computer Science at the Dept. of Mathematics and Physics, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Brescia, Italy. I was the secretary of the board of directors of the MatHEX research center for the applications of mathematics and computer science. I was in the scientific committee of MediaVox, an observatory on online hate speech.
From 2014 to 2017 I served in the QA team and as Judge for the IEEEXtreme international programming competition, organized by IEEE. I was the author of Snakes and bunnies, Mancala'h, and Orienteering problems.
Honors and Awards
- Oct. 2013. Premio tesi 2013. Winner of the first prize in the best thesis about “sustainability-oriented energy production, distribution and utilization systems” 2013 award for the Ph.D. thesis. The award has been assigned by the Ordine Ingegneri della Provincia di Bergamo (Order of the Engineer of the Bergamo province) during the Enegy Week 2013.
- Mar. 2013. Best paper award at the Third International Conference on Smart Grids, Green Communications and IT Energy-aware Technologies (ENERGY 2013) with the paper “Real-Time Scheduling for Peak Load Reduction in a Large Set of HVAC Loads”.
- Mar. 2011. Third place at the Virtual-Combat tournament (a robotic simulation event based on the open source programming game Robocode) at Codefest'11, the annual coding festival organized by the Department of Computer Engineering, IT-BHU, India. Team mate: Davide Cassenti.
- Apr. 2010. Winner of Premio Arturo Schena 2010 award by Fondazione Gruppo Credito Valtellinese for the master thesis.
- Dec. 2009. Best paper award and second place overall at the international competition of simulated robotics CyberRescue 2009, held in conjunction with the 30th IEEE Real-Time Systems Symposium, Washington DC, USA, 01/12/2009
- Nov. 2009 - Oct. 2012. Ph.D. Scholarship from the Italian Government