Since 2014, I am Assistant Professor of Computer Science at the Dept. of Mathematics and Physics, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Brescia, Italy. I'm the secretary of the board of directors of the MatHEX research center for the applications of mathematics and computer science. I'm in the scientific committee of MediaVox, a observatory on online hate speech. In addition, I collaborate as scientific consultant for machine learning projects with Interlogica, a software company based in Venezia, Italy.
I teach several courses in the field of computer programming and data analytics in Brescia and Milan. Currently, those courses are: Algorithms and data structures and Object-oriented programming for the Faculty of Mathematical, Physical and Natural Science; Decision-making methods and tools for the Faculty of Political and Social Science; Business analytics and data mining for the Faculty of Economics and the Faculty of Banking, Finance and Insurance Science. More details in the teaching page.
As researcher, my main interests are in the fields of:
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- Real-Time Physical Systems
- Cloud computing
- Fake news identification
- Smart and Efficient Energy Management in Cyber-Physical Systems
- Autonomous Mobile Robotics
In my academic career as student, I received the Laurea (Bachelor) degree in Computer Engineering from the University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy, in 2006. The dissertation title was “Sviluppo e implementazione di un sistema di monitoraggio e di controllo per un impianto di trattamento reflui” (in English: "development and implementation of a control and monitoring system for a waste-water treatment plant") and the supervisor was prof. Lalo Magni. Then, I received the Laurea Specialistica (Master) degree in Computer Engineering again from the University of Pavia, Italy, in 2009. The dissertation title was “Controllo robusto real-time di un plotone di robot mobili” (in English: "robust real-time control of a mobile robots platoon"). Supervisors were Prof. Antonella Ferrara and Doc. Tullio Facchinetti. I completed my student career receiving the Ph.D. title in Computer Engineering from the University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy, in 2013. The title of my dissertation is "Real-Time Physical Systems and Electric Load Scheduling". Doc. Tullio Facchinetti has been my supervisor. Since Tullio’s former supervisor is prof. Giorgio Buttazzo, I’m glad to be his grandchild in the line of research.
From March to December 2011 I was a visiting student researcher at the Model Based Predictive and Distributed Control Lab, UC-Berkeley, California, USA. My onsite supervisor was prof. Francesco Borrelli.
From 2012 to 2014, I held a Post-Doc position at the Robotics Lab, Dept. of Industrial, Computer and Biomedical Engineering at University of Pavia.
Honors and Awards
- Oct. 2013. Premio tesi 2013. Winner of the first prize in the best thesis about “sustainability-oriented energy production, distribution and utilization systems” 2013 award for the Ph.D. thesis. The award has been assigned by the Ordine Ingegneri della Provincia di Bergamo (Order of the Engineer of the Bergamo province) during the Enegy Week 2013.
- Mar. 2013. Best paper award at the Third International Conference on Smart Grids, Green Communications and IT Energy-aware Technologies (ENERGY 2013) with the paper “Real-Time Scheduling for Peak Load Reduction in a Large Set of HVAC Loads”.
- Mar. 2011. Third place at the Virtual-Combat tournament (a robotic simulation event based on the open source programming game Robocode) at Codefest'11, the annual coding festival organized by the Department of Computer Engineering, IT-BHU, India. Team mate: Davide Cassenti.
- Apr. 2010. Winner of Premio Arturo Schena 2010 award by Fondazione Gruppo Credito Valtellinese for the master thesis.
- Dec. 2009. Best paper award and second place overall at the international competition of simulated robotics CyberRescue 2009, held in conjunction with the 30th IEEE Real-Time Systems Symposium, Washington DC, USA, 01/12/2009
- Nov. 2009 - Oct. 2012. Ph.D. Scholarship from the Italian Government